Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Stampin Royalty Challenge #18


This week's challenge at Stampin' Royalty is 'anything but a card'. I decided to make these handy ceramic tile coasters. I actually made a set with my Grade 2's for their Mother's Day gifts. These coasters were very easy to make. The stamped tiles above were made using Staz-On ink and stamps from Stampin' Up! Stampin' Up sells black Staz-On which makes a great image, but if you look around you call also find Staz-On in a few other colours. I used purple and brown as well. The trick to making the image permanent is to find a tile that is a bit porous. These tiles are ceramic tiles, but they aren't shiny and the surface is not completely flat. This allows the ink to sink in a bit and makes the image permanent. The ideal tile for this activity is tumbled marble, but I just happened to have 40 or so of these tiles in my basement left by the previous owners of our house. The tile on the top right is made using rub-ons. These rub ons are called Bright Delights and because they are retired you can find them for a great deal on the Stampin' Up! Clearance rack. Because these tiles are ceramic, the image went on easily and firmly. I wouldn't use these for coasters though as they might now be terribly durable, but they are great for home decor.



4 comments:

Roxy said...

What a great project! I would love to get a tile like this for mother's day!

Melisa Waldorf said...

Oh wow! Fabulous coasters! I've never tried this, thanks for the inspiration!

Barb Craft said...

These are gorgeous!! I'm sure all the mothers will treasure them forever!!
Barb :)

LeAnne said...

Sandra, these are wonderful! I have had customers make these and spray them with acrylic spray and they get used over & over without losing the image. I love the idea of the rubons!
Thanks for all your nice comments on my blog, too! ☺